I am now 34 years old and with that comes another 12 months of experience, wisdom, mistakes and memories. There are so many things I am learning and have learnt in the process of being a better person.
Lessons I have learnt:
1. Crying if I need to is normal. Depression is not.
2. Driving is overrated. Being driven is much better.
3. The boy I had a crush at 13 never knew I existed and at 34, I still remember him.
4. The boy I met at 18 and fell in love with at 21 became my husband, 6 years later.
5. Should have just learnt only the basics in math. The integration and quadratic curves did not come in handy.
6. For my wedding, I did not regret spending the most money on reception and rings.
7. Call home no matter the time or how old I am. Ayah will always be there.
8. Forget about the cool kids. They never did care about me.
9. Never should have wished to grow up faster. A student’s life is the best.
10. Never to be defeated by “no.” I heard it many times before the occasional “yes.”
11. Ibu is always right and I love her a lot. Not a day goes by without her in my prayers and thoughts.
12. Be nice to siblings. Be their best friend, biggest supporter, and most constructive critic. Be the same to myself.
13. Study really hard in school so that I hopefully won’t have to after that. But play really hard, too.
14. People change. Stick to those who matters.
15. The right music can heal a broken heart.
16. Go for holiday. And then go again. And then go again.
17. Don’t waste it on expensive makeup, shoes, bags and jeans. The cupboard is not big enough.
18. Create a memory box. Keep it small, and throw out everything else. Not easy to stick to one.
19. Don’t worry if I can’t cook. Some things are just genetic. I won’t starve.
20. I can hate the husband sometimes. And likewise. As long as we both remember that underneath all that hate, there is a love like no other.
Lessons for me for the coming years:
1. Don’t sweat the small stuff. And that includes basically everything work-related. At the end of the day, all will be well.
2. The following sayings tend to ring true 9 times out of 10: “this too shall pass” and “everything happens for a reason.”
3. Find time for those who matters. But before all that, find time for myself.
4. Laugh more.
5. A nice scarf can make any outfit look better.
6. Vacation once per year. A real vacation. That’s easy.
7. Snack. Chocolates once a day.
8. When it is time to call it a day, call it a day.
9. When my students are acting silly, laugh first, get annoyed second.
10. Embrace change. Of all shapes and sizes.